EFT stands for Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy. It was developed by Dr. Sue Johnson and Les Greenberg in the 1980’s. It is a structured approach and usually short-term 8-20 sessions. EFT addresses the negative communication patterns in couples which is called a negative dance. This is a dance that all couples have and gets worse over time. EFT helps couples change this dance by understanding what happens in their dance, how to step out of the dance so couples can talk to each other in a better way and rebuild their emotional connection. Therapists, like me, who are certified in this type of couple’s therapy have completed specific trainings and supervision to become certified. It has taken most of us years to complete the certification process. As a marriage counselor in Boca Raton, I feel it is important to have the right kind of training in order to provide effective couples therapy which is why I chose this model for me and my work!
There are many good reasons as to why you should choose EFT. I will list some of them here.
- Science: EFT is evidence based which means it is proven in research to make long lasting changes in couples. Studies show that EFT works!
- Numbers: EFT has a 70-75% success rate! This means that couples who complete therapy rebuild their emotional connection and are no longer in marital distress. And these changes last over time.
- Map: EFT gives us a map as to how to help couples rekindle the love and restore their bond.
- Heart: EFT gets to the heart of the matter. We don’t let you just fight in your sessions. You can do that at home. We process the negative pattern that is happening and how to step out of it so you both can feel heard and understood.
- No sides. As your therapist, I will not take sides or judge either of you. We carefully listen and validate both partners and then help you do that with each other. It is not you or your partner that is the problem, it is the dance or negative pattern that keeps you stuck.
- You deserve love. Relationship pain can be the greatest source of pain there is. When you are in distress, you are suffering and you are hurt. You may feel alone, like no one understands you. In EFT, I will help you express this pain to your partner and help them really hear you and validate your feelings. This leads couples back to love and understanding. You don’t need to go through this alone and you deserve to have love!
- Emotional Experience: You will feel changes happening right in the session due to the emotional experiences you will have with your partner. You will begin to talk to each other in a more vulnerable and softer way. This is what will create change and rebuild your bond.
- EFT therapists: EFT therapists have a passion for helping couples find love again. We believe in this model and we know that if you can change your dance, you will find love again. We have seen EFT work and when it does work, it is magic!
As you can see, I am very passionate about EFT. This model has changed the way I work with couples and even changed my own marriage! I know, first hand, how powerful this therapy can be. Couples counseling can be effective and it can save your marriage! You don’t have to suffer alone. You have come to the right place for help. Here at the Heart Connection Center in Boca Raton, as your marriage counselor, I will guide you back to a loving and healthy relationship. Please call me today at 561-203-9280 to book your marriage counseling appointment today!